Consider taking private instruction to help develop your voice both as a choir member and as a soloist. Private instruction can be a real benefit to building skill and confidence.
Category Archives: Study Tools
Website is Up-to-date (8/25/2022)
In preparation for the new school year, the website has been fully updated! Check it out!
Looking forward to an incredible year!
Unit Three Begins January 6th
For all choirs, January 6th begins Unit Three.
In this unit we start with reevaluating vocal range on each student.
The three major foci for this unit are:
(1) Sightsinging Olympics (getting our key signatures, rhythm, interval and overall sightsinging chops up to speed.
(2) Guiding interested students in preparing for District Solo and Ensemble Contest, either as individual entries or in small groups (duet, trio, quartet, sextet, or octet) The event is held on Saturday, February 29th at Tigard High School.
(3) Preparing for the Classics Choir Concert on March 18th in Deb Fennell Auditorium at 7 pm. All Choirs! Plus qualifying soloists and small ensembles!
Check out the music selections on the Listen and Watch section of our website!
Here is to a lot of awesome learning and growth!
Concert Choir Parts Posted
Concert Choir Parts for the Fall Concert are posted in the MEDIA section under LISTEN AND WATCH.
Stars by Eriks Esenvald / I should be Glad by Susan LaBarr
Repertoire added to Media Page
Check out the music for the Spring Concerts on the Media Page under Listen and Watch!
Concert Choir Part Recordings are posted. Go and learn!
Go to MEDIA: Listen and Watch. All recordings are posted by part and song.
Get er done, people!
Music Theory assignments due on Friday. Look it up on Study Tools for links to the homework!
All Choir Music Theory/Ear Training Assignments
HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENTS for FALL 2015!
Attention All Choir Students! We are going deeper in learning essential and fundamental skills. This is going to have a HUGE positive impact on the choir program and on YOU personally! If you do not have access to a home computer or smart phone, please see Mr. Hawthorne for an alternate assignment. The following assignment is also under STUDY TOOLS!
A. MUSIC THEORY HOMEWORK PAGES, Part 1: When you can demonstrate “Exceeding the Standard (A)” for these two exercises by completing 10 minutes with at least 50 correct answers, click on the “i” icon to submit your progress report. By the due date, if you have not achieved “Exceeding the Standard”, submit your best score. Print out the Code Verification Page and turn it in to Mr. Hawthorne. Music Standard 2: Reading and Notating Music. Value: 20% of Grade. Due Date: October 30th by the end of the day.
- Note Identification (Treble Clef Only) www.musictheory.net/exercises/note/brwa9dbynyykcy
- Note Identifications Both Clefs:www.musictheory.net/exercises/note/oy99uypa9dbynyykcy
- Key Signatures: www.musictheory.net/exercises/keysig/oya9dyyykcy
Additional Assessments for CONCERT CHOIR and CHORALATION Students only!
B. MUSIC THEORY HOMEWORK PAGES, Part 2: When you can demonstrate “Exceeding the Standard (A)” for these two exercises by completing 10 minutes with at least 50 correct answers, click on the “i” icon to submit your progress report. By the due date, if you have not achieved “Exceeding the Standard”, submit your best score. Print out the Code Verification Page and turn it into Mr. Hawthorne. Music Standard 2: Reading and Notating Music. Due Date: December 4th by the end of the day. Value: 20% of Grade.
- Interval Recognition: www.musictheory.net/exercises/interval/dg1a9drh98nbnykcb
- Ear Training: www.musictheory.net/exercises/ear-interval/998eyybgneyyykcb
The Value of the Individual
The greatness of a choir is not found in the group as a whole! Greatness is found in each individual’s investment in the process of deep learning. When individual members express value and take responsibility for their learning magical things begin to happen. There is no magic, however, that can replace knowing music fundamentals: Instant recognition of note names, key signatures, rhythmic patterns, and chromatic solfege are central to success. Don’t be a follower. BE A LEADER! Commit to using musictheory.net to establish your fundamental skills. DO IT!!!!