It has come to my attention that there are issues in the choir program around malicious gossip and the use of cyber bullying to ridicule and tear down other members of the choir. The evidence has been shared with me and I have forwarded it on to the administration and counseling. This is not okay and will not be tolerated in any way! Membership in the choir program is dependent upon demonstrated good character.
The choir program at Tigard High School is a safe place. We defend the right for people to be safe in the choir program.We don’t put people down, ever!
As I stated in a previous blog posting, what I look for in singers includes this:
“A Generous Human Being – someone who is kind, accepting, treats people with dignity, refrains from gossip. A humble and self-reflective person. Someone who takes constructive criticism.”
Everyone is welcomed here. Everyone is valued here. Everyone has the opportunity to grow and become the best self that you are. Everyone has the opportunity to take risks in the development of their voice.
This is who we are:
We are kind. We are gracious. We are humble. We are supportive. We collaborate. We strive for excellence. We acknowledge our diversity of membership and honor all who come to the table to be their best self. We celebrate each other. We embrace the goodness in each other. We have each other’s backs.
We are a family.
We are Tigard High School Choirs.
And for this reason, I am proud to be your director.
Good character matters!
Thank you to all who auditioned this year for Choralation! It was an exceptionally fine audition process. I have selected 28 singers, 15 Soprano/Alto and 13 Tenor/Bass. For those not selected, keep working hard! For those of you who were selected, get ready to work really hard!
- REQUIRED! Please confirm that you accept the position of singer in Choralation 2018! by emailing me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Be gracious!
- Stay humble!
- Be supportive of those who were not selected!
- Look for when the Choralation BBQ date is posted.
- Look for when the Choralation 2018 Spring Rehearsal is scheduled.
Members of Choralation 2018! *
* membership is conditional upon successful completion of the academic year following OSAA Guidelines (passing your classes!!), positive attendance practices and demonstrated work ethic in choir and school!
Ethan Wattman Oshima
Choralation Auditions will be held on Tuesday, May 2nd from 7 – 8:30 pm in the choir room. Students must attend this audition to be considered. There is no alternate date available. Questions? Email Mr. Hawthorne at email@example.com
Choralation Audition 2017-2018
Unclouded Day, arr. Shawn Kirchner
May 2nd at 7 – 8:30 pm in the Choir Room
What is Mr. Hawthorne looking for in a member?
- A Servant Singer – someone who loves to sing everything, values working cooperatively with others, is responsible, dependable, humble, flexible, and open.
- A Lover of the Craft – someone who seeks to sharpen their skills and grow as a singer musician.
- A Worker Bee – someone who whose work ethic demonstrates the joy they find in making music. Someone who has a proven track record of giving it their all to sing at the highest level.
- A Generous Human Being – someone who is kind, accepting, treats people with dignity, refrains from gossip. A humble and self-reflective person. Someone who takes constructive criticism.
How should some one prepare for the audition?
- Learn all notes and rhythms for the entire song on the part you are assigned. Use whatever resources you can develop, including the recording on our website, voice teachers, friends and peers to learn ALL notes, rhythms and dynamics. Be prepared to sing one or two on a part. Mr. Hawthorne is NOT a resource, nor is time during choir classes.
- Practice rooms and the choir room are available when classes are not in session.
- Mark your music and observe all dynamics and breath marks.
- Music must be thoroughly prepared. We will not be pounding out notes or rhythms as a part of the audition process. Marking solfege and counting is encouraged if it will help you secure your part. If you do not know the music at the time of the audition, you will not receive help to learn your part.
- Get together with others to practice singing the song in harmony.
Who will get into Choralation?
- You will need to have a successful Concert Choir audition to be green lighted to the Choralation audition.
- The best 24-32 singers drawn from incoming Sophomore – Senior.
- The voices that work best together both in blend, personal chemistry and work ethic.
- Students with successful academics and attendance are essential components to a successful group.
- Ideally 6 Soprano, 6 Alto and 6 Tenor, 6 Bass singers.
When is the audition?
- The group audition will be held in the Choir Room on May 2nd at 7 pm. Students will already have had their individual audition during class time or prearranged during lunch or after school.
What if I can’t make the group audition, can I re-audition?
- The group audition will be held on May 2nd. Do everything you can to be there. It will not be possible to reschedule the group audition.
- If you are not in the best voice do to illness, do your best.
Other Questions? Ask Mr. Hawthorne in person or by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
There is great benefit in reviewing video from a concert. Is there a parent that can take on the responsibility of taping each choir’s complete song list and zoom in to show facial expression?
This is a component of music education that is extremely valuable.
Can you help? It is important that the turn around time to the students viewing is quick!
Let me know at: email@example.com
Tuesday night, March 21st, our wonderful choir department will be performing @ 7pm in Deb Fennell Auditorium.
If you would like to reserve a seat and show up at 6:55 you can do so by contacting:
Tiffany Kerns: firstname.lastname@example.org or text at 541-513-7360.
Each seat is $10 and there will be a “RESERVED for _______ ” on the chairs. All funds raised go toward the choir department. Cash or Checks made out to Tigard High will be collected Tuesday night at the concert.
Unclouded Day, arr. Shawn Kirchner!
Music arrives on Monday!